Carl Sandburg Village
Carl Sandburg Village’s condominium buildings are named for legendary authors and writers. Galesburg, Illinois native Carl Sandburg was a Pulitzer Prize-winning Chicago historian, journalist and poet.
Carl Sandburg Village is a community of 7 mid-to-high-rise condominium buildings, townhouses and artist studios located on Chicago’s Near North Side built during Chicago’s urban renewal era of the 1960’s.
Construction of James House and Kilmer House was completed in 1970. At that time, the buildings were rental units. During 1980, they were converted to condominium units. Sandburg Village today straddles Chicago’s Gold Coast and Old Town neighborhoods.
James House and Kilmer House
The James and Kilmer buildings commemorate the names of author Henry James (whose works include the classic novels “The Portrait of a Lady”, “The American”, and “Washington Square”) and poet, journalist and literary critic Joyce Kilmer (often quoted is a verse from his 1914 poem “Trees” and his post-World War One tribute to fallen soldiers, “Rouge Bouquet”).
James House is a 43-story high-rise structure with 520 residential units. Although the address is 1560 North Sandburg Terrace, its main entrance is on Germania Place and its service entrance faces LaSalle Street.
Kilmer House is a 6-story mid-rise structure with 96 residential units. Although its address is 1555 North Sandburg Terrace, Kilmer’s main entrance faces Clark Street and its service entrance is on Sandburg’s North Mall terrace level.